How we spend your council tax
We play a key part in making sure the day-to-day life of the city runs smoothly. We provide support for the more vulnerable and with our partners, make long-term plans to improve life for everyone who lives here.
We've over 300 services with staff that work to keep our streets clean, keep us all on the move, enable our children to achieve and enjoy their schools as well as be on hand for key moments of people's lives, such as weddings and registering births. Your council tax pays for a huge range of these services.
This year we:
- served an average of 51,378 free school meals a month
- stopped more than 500 families from becoming homeless
- taught 37,644 children and young people in our schools
- collected 111,820 tonnes of waste - that's 446 kg for each of us
- looked after 5,061 children in our children's centres
- looked after 950 hectares of parks, open spaces and woodland
- helped over 11,000 older and vulnerable adults
- used 1,300 tonnes of grit on roads this winter so far - compared to an average of 500 tonnes
Council tax and budget information 2016/2017 [PDF, 77KB]