Scrap metal dealer licence

If you're a scrap metal dealer you need to have a licence.

You're classed as a scrap metal dealer if you:

  • Operate a business which involves buying or selling scrap metal
  • Buy or sell scrap metal on the internet
  • Operate a business as a motor salvage operator

There are two types of licence, each is valid for three years:

  • Site licence - allows you to buy and sell scrap metal from a fixed location within the council area
  • Collectors licence - allows you to travel within the council area to collect scrap metal. You can't take this metal back to a site you run within the council area in order to sell it


New application

  • Site licence - £311
  • Mobile collectors licence- £232


  • Site licence - £256
  • Mobile collectors licence - £185

Change to licence

  • Variation to site licence - £112
  • Change of site manager - £49
  • Variation to mobile collectors licence - £49
  • Replacement licence (site and collector) - £10.50
  • Change of details (site and collector) - £35

Apply for a scrap metal dealer licence

If you're unsure which licence you should apply for contact us on 01752 304141 or email